Wednesday, December 28, 2011

My Aunt Sonja

On Sunday, December 11th, my Aunt Sonja passed away from complications of leukemia. I was sad to receive the news, but happy to know she was no longer suffering!

She was a wonderful Aunt and will always be remembered for that! McKinley and I were fortunate to be able to fly out to Asheville, North Carolina to attend her funeral in Franklin, North Carolina.

Despite the circumstances, we had a fun time catching up with extended family and getting to see my parents, sisters, brother-in-laws, nieces and nephew so soon after Thanksgiving.

This is a really fun picture we took with all of my Aunt LaRessie's girls. She has 4 girls, like my mom, and here we all are sitting next to our cousin in the same age category in the family :) My Aunt Sonja loved all of her nieces, so it was nice to be there at her funeral and honor her memory! We all loved her so much! We sang a song together during the funeral for her, it was a sweet moment.

McKinley had a great time! She loved spending time with her cousins and running around enjoying herself, unaware of what was going on and why we were really there. Her and her cousin's sweet demeanor brought a smile to many people's faces and brightened many people's spirits who saw them enjoying themselves and having fun just being kids! It's always nice to have a reason to smile, especially at such a sad time!

No comments:

Post a Comment